I’m a PhD in Computer Science from Department of Computer Science of the University of Chile. My research interests are Information Visualization and Data Mining.
I love teaching and I believe learning should be for anyone. Because of this, I’m part of Niñas Pro(gramadoras), an initiative that motivate girls to learn to program to reduce the gender gap in STEM. We aim to show to our girls that computer science is super fun (:
You can find my complete CV here.
You can reach at vpena [at] dcc [dot] uchile [dot] cl.
List of publications
- Vanessa Peña-Araya, Mauricio Quezada, Barbara Poblete and Denis Parra, Gaining Historical and International Relations Insight from Social Media: A Spatio-Temporal Context-Aware Model for News Events in Twitter. EPJ Data Science 6 (1), 25
- Nan-Chen Chen, Rafal Kocielnik, Margaret Drouhard, Vanessa Peña-Araya, Jina Suh, Keting Cen, Xiangyi Zheng and Cecilia R. Aragon, Aeonium: Visual Analytics to Support Collaborative Qualitative Coding, Proceedings of the IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (PacificVis 2017).
- Nan-Chen Chen, Rafal Kocielnik, Margaret Drouhard, Vanessa Peña-Araya, Jina Suh, Keting Cen, Xiangyi Zheng and Cecilia R. Aragon, Challenges of Applying Machine Learning to Qualitative Coding, CHI 2016 workshop on Human Centered Machine Learning (HCML 2016).
- Mauricio Quezada, Vanessa Peña-Araya and Barbara Poblete, Location-Aware Model for News Events in Social Media, SIGIR 2015, pages 935-938.
- Vanessa Peña-Araya, Mauricio Quezada and Barbara Poblete, Galean: Visualization of Geolocated News Events from Social Media, SIGIR 2015, pages 1041-1042.
- Jazmine Maldonado, Vanessa Peña-Araya and Barbara Poblete, Spatio and Temporal Characterization of Chilean News Events in Social Media, . SIGIR 2015 Workshop on Temporal, Social and Spatially-aware Information Access (TAIA’15), August 13, 2015, Santiago, Chile.
- Alexandre Bergel, Vanessa Peña Araya, Increasing Test Coverage with Hapao, Sci. Comput. Program. 79: 86-100.
- Alexandre Bergel, Vanessa Peña, Juan Pablo Sandoval, The Hidden Face of Execution Sampling, Proceedings of the 1st Smalltalk Direction Workshop – Collocated with STIC’12.
- Vanessa Peña Araya, Test Coverage With Hapao, Proceedings of the 5th Workshop on Dynamic Languages and Applications – Collocated with TOOLS 2011.
- Vanessa Peña Araya, Test Blueprint: An Effective Visual Support for Test Coverage, Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), 2011, ACM Press. Student Research Competition track, pages 1140-1142.